[Spacewalk-list] yum-priorities feature in Spacewalk repository management?

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Fri Jun 3 14:37:54 UTC 2011

On 06/02/2011 07:04 PM, Contant, Olivier wrote:
> Miroslav Suchy, why would it be a bad idea to package my dependency with the application?

Well it can seem as great idea now. It can save you some trouble and
work now. I've been there several time, and it always resulted in:
- lack of time updating those packages dependecies
- in few months/years you will find you are using outdated libraries,
which have dozens security problems.
- you will have to spend the time to do it properly anyway or you will
be doomed to support and package third part libraries, which will have
tendency to grow in time.

If you want to do it, just do it and ignore me. I learned my lessons
during my life and I will try to avoid packaging dependencies together
with application as much as possible.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering