[Spacewalk-list] PXE booting a VMWare server

Kennedy, Ryan rkennedy at PAML.com
Mon Jun 6 19:24:36 UTC 2011

No, you don't want to use KVM guest (or anything else for that matter).  Just leave that dropdown set to "none" for VMware.  Let it treat it like any other physical server.  I have dozens of VMs that I have PXE kickstarted this way and it works just fine.  You will have to create your VM in vcenter (ie. Spacewalk won't create the VM guest for you), but once you have it built and on the correct VLAN it should PXE boot (assuming that's all set up correctly) and install from your KS profile.

--Ryan

From: spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Scott Rakow
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 11:51 AM
To: spacewalk-list at redhat.com
Subject: [Spacewalk-list] PXE booting a VMWare server

I am trying to PXE boot a guest server in VMWare and seem to be running into some problems. I have set the Visualization Type to KVM Guest, which  am assuming is correct. As for the other settings, Memory, CPU's, and Disk Space; are they set when you create the template in VMWare or is it overwritten by the settings in the Spacewalk profile? Also, what should be the variable used in the Virtual Bridge setting? The default virbr0 does not seem to find the network after the stage 2, as it looks as though it can not find the install tree.

Thanks

Scott
PAML EMAIL DISCLAIMER:
Information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, be notified
strictly prohibited. If this communication is received in error, please
notify the sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting
from your computer. Thank you