[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk kickstart generating & snippet compiling

Martin Zehetmayer martin at zehetmayer.at
Tue May 17 14:48:56 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a problem generating a default kickstart file using the kickstart wizard in spacewalk.
I am using Spacewalk 1.5 nightly (from today) installed on RHEL6.0 with RHEL, CentOS and SLES as
kickstartable distributions synced in spacewalk. I have no custom cobbler snippets in use.

Whenever I try to create a kickstart file I get the error message "There are errors in your kickstart
template. Please check the template errors to determine the problem with the template.".

Checking the "Kickstart File" tab (or trying to get the kickstart file using cobbler profile getks
<profilename>" I get an python error instead of the kickstart:

--- snip ---
# *** ERROR ***
#
# There is a templating error preventing this file from rendering correctly.
#
# This is most likely not due to a bug in Cobbler and is something you can fix.
#
# Look at the message below to see what things are causing problems.
#
# (1) Does the template file reference a $variable that is not defined?
# (2) is there a formatting error in a Cheetah directive?
# (3) Should dollar signs ($) be escaped that are not being escaped?
#
# Try fixing the problem and then investigate to see if this message goes
# away or changes.
#
#
# SNIPPET() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)
#   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cobbler/templar.py", line 141, in render
#     data_out = t.respond()
#
#   File "cheetah_DynamicallyCompiledCheetahTemplate_1305649795_44_52653.py", line 185, in respond
#
#   File "cheetah_DynamicallyCompiledCheetahTemplate_1305649795_44_52653.py", line 102, in __errorCatcher6
#
#   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
#
--- snip ---

When editing the kickstart file generated in /var/lib/rhn/kickstarts/wizard/, removing alle SNIPPET()
entries the kickstart file works perfectly. As soon as there is one SNIPPET() statement the cheetah
compiling is broken.
I tried to debug it myself but now I got stuck getting enough information to proceed: I have found
no code where SNIPPET get called with 3 arguments ('SNIPPET() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)').
Is it possible that the dynamically compiled cheetah template can be kept to have a look at it?

Thanks in adanvce,

  Martin