[Spacewalk-list] clients can't register - ssl cert problem [more info]

Matthew Darcy MDarcy at sch-group.net
Wed May 25 07:01:25 UTC 2011

>Are you able to connect to oracle with sqlplus?
>
># sqlplus $(spacewalk-cfg-get default_db)
>

>Regards,
>
>--
>Michael Mráka
>Satellite Engineering, Red Hat

Hi Michael,

I can't connect using SQL plus , I made a seperate post about it on the list, but I can summerise here.

I currently can't connect to the spacewalk server using plsql.

[quote]

[root at spacewalk01 ~]# sqlplus spacewalk/spacewalk@//localhost/XE
SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Wed May 25 07:54:30 2011
Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
ERROR:
ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect
descriptor

[/quote]

after working this through last night, the problem (and I don't know oracle well enough to explain/understand why) is the use of the host "localhost" in listener.ora (this line)
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))

and tnsnames.ora (this line)
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))

if I change localhost to my FQDN for the server (same as the servers current hostname) restart the listener and connect, it works.

[quote]

[root at spacewalk01 ~]# sqlplus spacewalk/spacewalk@//localhost/XE
SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Wed May 25 07:59:06 2011
Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
SQL>

[/quote]

this is great.

The problem is then when I try to run spacewalk-hostname-rename, those files are changed back to localhost, and the hostname rename process fails as it does this before trying to actually do anything with the database, so when it tries to update the database with the new hostname, it fails to connect again.

I need to get this back to working on "localhost" but the truth is I don't understand why this needs to be changed to the FQDN to work, so can't progress it at this time.

advice on the best way forward would be most welcome.

thanks,

Matt