[Spacewalk-list] Feature Request rhncfg-manager and rhncfg-client

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at myriad.com
Wed Nov 23 23:02:52 UTC 2011

Spacewalk 1.5

As far as I am aware neither of these exist with rhncfg-manager or
rhncfg-client but I personally would like to see them added if possible.

1)The ability to submit (add) files to the systems Locally Managed
channel and/or the systems Sandbox channel.

The ability to do this would be great rather than having to manually
import the file on every system with a slight change where a custom
system info key is overkill. Using a common channel will not work as far
as I can tell because 1)It would be blown away by the next system in
line in a batch push process because you cant copy or import from a
channel unless it is subscribe. You effectively end up in a manual copy,
create pattern for each. It makes sense to me if I customize a file for
a system I should be able to submit that file for that system from
itself directly.

2)Files deployed with an "rhncfg-client get" or added with
"rhncfg-manager add" show up as deployed files in Spacewalk.

ie:
System->Events->History
System->Details->Configuration->Last Configuration Deployment
Configuration->Configuration Files->(file)->Compare File->Deployed Files

In all of these cases they only show up if you use the SW gui to deploy.

I suppose the "rhncfg-manager add" technically is not a deployment so
maybe not.

Just my two cents maybe I'm totally off the mark. It would not be the
first time.

Thanks!