[Spacewalk-list] issues with host rename

Gomes, Rich rich.gomes at uniform.aramark.com
Thu Oct 20 15:37:20 UTC 2011

I am having issues with a SW server (1.5) that I am running. Currently
it is running without issue but there is a need for a name change.

Since it is a VM, I am cloning it as the new name and then powering off
the original.

Once the new server is up I do the following:

1 - Change IP to be that of original

2 - Change hostname in both /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network

3 - Reboot and verify name change

4 - Run spacewalk-hostname-rename script

Each time I receive the following:

[root at newhostname ~]# spacewalk-hostname-rename xx.xx.xx.xx  Validating
IP ... OK =============================================

hostname: newhostname

ip: xx.xx.xx.xx

Stopping rhn-satellite services ... OK

Testing DB connection ... ERROR:

ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect
descriptor

SP2-0306: Invalid option.

Usage: CONN[ECT] [{logon|/|proxy} [AS {SYSDBA|SYSOPER|SYSASM}]
[edition=value]] where <logon> ::=
<username>[/<password>][@<connect_identifier>]

      <proxy> ::=

SP2-0306: Invalid option.

Usage: CONN[ECT] [{logon|/|proxy} [AS {SYSDBA|SYSOPER|SYSASM}]
[edition=value]] where <logon> ::=
<username>[/<password>][@<connect_identifier>]

      <proxy> ::=

SP2-0157: unable to CONNECT to ORACLE after 3 attempts, exiting SQL*Plus
FAILED Your database isn't running.

Fix the problem and run /usr/bin/spacewalk-hostname-rename again

I would think it would be easier to build a new SW server from scratch
but that has not worked out. Every time I try, with version 1.3, 1.4,
and 1.5 everything goes smoothly but Taskomatic service will not stay
running and I have not found a fix for it.

This server was\is running successfully so I decided to to just clone it
and rename it.

Interestingly, if I change host name back to original, it does me now
good.

And also, tnsnames and listener.ora both have 'localhost' specified, not
new hostname.

Changing this to the new hostname does not good either.

Has anyone else run into this?

How can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich Gomes | Senior Systems Administrator,  AUCA System Services |
ARAMARK Uniform & Career Apparel

Tel: 781.763.4508 |  Fax: 781.763.2508

Rich.Gomes at wearguard-crest.com <mailto:Rich.Gomes at wearguard-crest.com>