[Spacewalk-list] Foolish me, keeping my systems up to date... cobbler... grr...

Ian Forde ianforde at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 22:19:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 14:35 -0700, Ian Forde wrote:
> > Before upgrading be sure to make a backup of /etc/cobbler
> > and /var/lib/cobbler, this is where all your data resides. As some
> > things have changed, read these before you get into reading about all
> > the new features.
> >
> > - Review/modify the /etc/cobbler/modules.conf.rpmnew file to include your site specific settings. Then move the new file into place.
> > - Review/modify the /etc/httpd/conf.d/cobbler_web.conf.rpmnew file and move it into place.
> > - Remove mod_python
> > - Uncomment the LoadModule command in /etc/httpd/conf.d/wsgi.conf
> > - Change $kickstart_start/_done to $SNIPPET('kickstart_start')/_done in the default kickstart template.

Some additional notes from detective work...

> So, I did the first step - it's just making sure that I have "module = authn_spacewalk" rather than "module = authn_denyall"

I also had to enable the tftp server in the config - just remembered
that one...

> Third step?  DO NOT DO THIS.  IT WILL ATTEMPT TO REMOVE SPACEWALK. (why oh why would this step be listed in the first place?)

Still freaked out by this one...

> Fifth step?  This is what I've run smack into.  The generated kickstart files all have a section around line 43 as such:
>
> > %pre$kickstart_start
> >
> > echo "Saving RHN keys..." > /dev/ttyS0
> > SYSTEM_ID=/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid
> > rhn_keys_found=no

The end of the generated kickstart file also has the following:

$kickstart_done

So it looks like something in Spacewalk isn't evaluating properly, as
the $kickstart_start and $kickstart_done macros are supposed to include
the new cobbler templates, but are just spitting out the raw text
instead.  I don't think this is something I've done wrong, but I'm
wondering if anyone else is seeing this, or if it's something obvious in
the code... I'm still digging to see if something pops out.

Here's another question - if it turns out to be a Spacewalk issue (ie -
cobbler upgrade broke it, not I, and one or more of the Spacewalk RPMs
needs an upgrade to address it), would we have to wait until 1.6 for the
fix?  Thus requiring people to not upgrade their cobbler installations
btw... Or would this be fixed in the 1.5 series, as cobbler 2.2.x is now
in EPEL...

	-I