[Spacewalk-list] Foolish me, keeping my systems up to date... cobbler... grr...

Ian Forde ianforde at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 20:07:15 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 00:08 +0100, Miroslav Suchy wrote:
> Dne 29.10.2011 00:19, Ian Forde napsal(a):
> > Here's another question - if it turns out to be a Spacewalk issue (ie -
> > cobbler upgrade broke it, not I, and one or more of the Spacewalk RPMs
> > needs an upgrade to address it), would we have to wait until 1.6 for the
> > fix?  Thus requiring people to not upgrade their cobbler installations
> > btw... Or would this be fixed in the 1.5 series, as cobbler 2.2.x is now
> > in EPEL...
>
> Well it is still in testing:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2011-4633
> I wrote there that I'm against moving it to stable.
>
> We (as Spacewalk developers) did not test cobbler 2.2 yet. We may
> support it in Spacewalk 1.6, but definitely not in EL5. That would be
> *huge work*, and we do not have time for that and it is IMHO not worth
> the work.
> So please on EL5 stay with cobbler 2.0.

Yep - looks like I still had EPEL-testing enabled on both of my
Spacewalk instances from when I initially set them up.  Part of the
steps at that time was to enable epel-testing... I never pulled the repo
for the boxes.  I've disabled it now.  Thanks for the info... I rolled
it back and now kickstart files look okay.  I'll test them later...

For those of you going through this, it was *not* a fun experience...

Rough steps were...

. spacewalk-service stop
. service cobblerd stop
. rpm -e --nodeps cobblerd
. yum clean all
. # disable the epel-testing repo
. yum install cobbler
. # restore the old cobbler configuration
. yum remove mod_wsgi
. service httpd restart
. service cobblerd restart
. cobbler check
. cobbler sync
. service spacewalk start

Moral of the story?  Back up your spacewalk servers.  Every day.
Seriously. ;)

	-I