[Spacewalk-list] Invalid entitlement when registering KVM guests

Michael Morgan mmorgan at dca.net
Thu Sep 1 19:07:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 04:53:55PM +0200, Jan Pazdziora wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 04:37:47PM -0400, Michael Morgan wrote:
>
> What happens when you use activation keys which does not add the
> Monitoring (as in here ...
>
> ... it seems to suggest that it's the Monitoring thing that causes the
> problem).
>
> --
> Jan Pazdziora
> Principal Software Engineer, Satellite Engineering, Red Hat

Thanks for the suggestion. Removing add-on entitlements from the guest
activation key did not make any change. Moving to the host I removed
Monitoring which moved the error down the list to provisioning_entitled.
Removing the Provisioning entitlement from the host finally allowed the
guest to register properly.

Going back to the Spacewalk install documentation I remembered the note
that Monitoring most likely would not work with PGSQL so I can leave
that disabled. I did want to use the configuration features of Spacewalk
which do require Provisioning. Just to test I added that entitlement
back to the host, deleted the guest, and forced registration again. This
time it succeeded even with the Provisioning entitlement enabled.

I now have the KVM hosts working but requiring several steps:

1. Remove Provisioning entitlement from host
2. Kickstart KVM guest
3. Add Provisioning after guest automatically registers

Of course the 4th host continues working happily with both Monitoring
and Provisioning enabled. Something strange is definitely going on but
at least it works now.

Thanks again for the reply and for getting me in the right direction.

--
Michael Morgan
mmorgan at dca.net