[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart falling in spacewalk 1.5

André Freitas andre-m-freitas at ext.ptinovacao.pt
Fri Sep 2 16:17:03 UTC 2011

On 09/02/2011 03:38 PM, Jonathan DeHaan wrote:
> I see that you have 24K packages in your base channel, but there are
> only 3K packages on the DVD media. If you used the repodata from the
> media in your distro tree, anaconda only knows about those 3K packages.
>
> You need to make sure that the packages in your base channel are
> exactly the same as referenced by the repodata in your distro tree -
> and spacewalk does not do this for you automatically.
But this was anything that changed from spacewalk 1.4 to 1.5? the
strange part is that i always put the distribution tree path mounted
from ISO and base channel using the base repo from distribution (in this
case fedora.repo has 24K files) and i never had this problem.

> You can either download all 24K packages into the Packages folder of
> your distro tree and run createrepo,
ok but wouldn't this option duplicate the space in disk (as i would have
to download again all the 24K of rpms)? the rpms collected by
spacewalk-repo-sync are put on /var/satellite using a strange hierarchy
of directory (i never understand the logic behind this) and i don't see
any way to put the packages from this directories in distro tree package
directory (is there any way that i can use local repositories [using
rsync and create repo] without the need to upload the files for
spacewalk - which consequently would create a second copy of the files
in /var/satteliite?)
> or you can create a child channel called 'extras' and move all the
> packages in your base channel that aren't on the DVD to that channel.
> If you go the createrepo route, then after it recreates the repodata,
> you can delete the packages in the distro tree - anaconda does
> correctly pull the packages themselves from the spacewalk channel.
I think this options is very time consuming and wouldn't probably
resolve my problem because when i run the spacewalk-repo-syunc for base
channel (or the extras repo) all the missing files would be downloaded
again making the channels with more packages than the distro tree

> A third option would be to take the repodata files from
> /var/cache/rhn/repodata and merge them with the comps file from your
> current distro tree. You'll have to piece together the repomd.xml file
> using the entries from the cache and the original entries for type
> 'group' and 'group_gz'.
Again i think this option is also very time consuming as i would have to
repeat this step all the time that the meta changes