[Spacewalk-list] SW shows updates, yum does not

Martin Minar mminar at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 10:56:37 UTC 2011

Hello Jason,

----- Original Message -----

did you updated some packages not using SW? Say by running yum update on client manually.

> update was run, did not show up in the update list and were not pushed
> out (ie: it installed a slightly older than most current version of
> "http" but newer than that which was on the client at the time of
> update).
>
> This client now shows no updates via client side command line via Yum.
> Yet in the Spacewalk gui the packages are listed as requiring an
> update.

Can you give us example of package in SW that is reported as needed for update - it's version, the version currently present on client.

> I have cleared out yum entirely with yum clean all etc client side.

Did you try to delete entire /var/cache/yum/<channel> directory or just yum clean all?

> The channels are subscribed and available etc.

Can you check channel where this package is, check what date/time is in Last Modified a Last Build Repo, then go on client to /var/cache/yum/<subdirectory_of_this_channel> and check times of repomd.xml, primary and other files using ls -l.

> The channels are not in progress for a repo cache refresh, they all
> indicate "Completed".
>
> Spacewalk has been restarted several times.

Have you tried rhn-profile-sync?

> The only time I have seen anything like this was on RHEL4 and having
> register clients twice. This is a first on RHEL5.
>
> Anyone have an idea what might be wrong and how to resolve this?
>
> Thanks.

Martin Minar | mminar @ #satellite*
Satellite QA, Red Hat
"Discovery brings joyfulness. Understanding brings domination."