[Spacewalk-list] Oracle character set

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 21:48:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 04:33:55PM -0400, Robert Volpe wrote:
> Does Spacewalk support the Western European character set ?  Or only the
> Universal character set?
>
> Setting up a new instance of Spacewalk to use our existing Oracle DB which
> uses Western European format.
>
> Any documentation on this you can point me to ?

For Oracle XE, we only support the Multi-byte Unicode/UTF-8 database
and document as such at

	https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/OracleXeSetup

For that reason, noone is probably running the single byte
installation, so there's no experience with it as database backend for
Spacewalk.

I assume the single byte installation still supports clients to
have NLS_LANG set to UTF8, and since we do not seed the database with
any non-US-ASCII data, it might actually work.

On the other hand, if you run Western European and hit problems due
to this, we will likely just say "use UTF-8".

--
Jan Pazdziora