[Spacewalk-list] Waiting for Tomcat to be ready...

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 06:01:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 02:56:48PM -0400, Gomes, Rich wrote:
> Thanks Jan.
>

> It does appear that jabber is running though..
>

> Starting spacewalk services...
> Initializing jabberd processes ...
> Starting router:                                           [  OK  ]
> Starting sm:                                               [  OK  ]
> Starting c2s:                                              [  OK  ]
> Starting s2s:                                              [  OK  ]
> Starting osa-dispatcher: RHN 5827 2011/09/20 14:17:51 -04:00: ('Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File "/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 253, in setup_connection\n    c = self._get_jabber_client(js)\n  File "/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 310, in _get_jabber_client\n    c.connect()\n  File "/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 567, in connect\n    jabber.Client.connect(self)\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/jabber/xmlstream.py", line 464, in connect\n    else: self._sock.connect((self._hostIP, self._port))\n  File "<string>", line 1, in connect\nerror: (111, \'Connection refused\')\n',)
>                                                            [  OK  ]
> Starting tomcat5:                                          [  OK  ]
> Waiting for tomcat to be ready ...
>
> [root at localhost ~]# service jabberd status
> router (pid 5763) is running...
> sm dead but subsys locked
> c2s dead but subsys locked
> s2s (pid 5784) is running...
> [root at localhost ~]# service osa-dispatcher status
> osa-dispatcher (pid  5856) is running...
> [root at localhost ~]#
>

> Thought the sm and c2s being marked as dead could be an issue so I tried restarting jabberd.
> Start process got past the osa-dispatcher stage but Tomcat still shows as waiting.

Let's separate the two issues -- osa-dispatcher and tomcat. They have
nothing in common. Please don't confuse the thread by trying to address
both at the same time.

If jabberd starts but is then marked as dead, you need to figure out
why it's marked as dead, otherwise osa-dispatcher will not be able to
connect to it.

If the Waiting for tomcat to be ready never finishes (startup of httpd
should follow), you need to figure out why tomcat does not seem
to start properly. For that, start with the catalina.out log file,
as mentioned multiple times. I believe that your going back to 1.4
did not help the cause because we changed the check for accessible
tomcat for 1.5 to work better in various situations.

> Should I go back to 1.3?

That would not be my advice.

--
Jan Pazdziora