[Spacewalk-list] missing deep dependencies with kickstart install from spacewalk; dependecies are there when done manually

Andre Blum A.Blum at activevideo.com
Mon Sep 26 20:21:16 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

In my spacewalk 1.4 server I have a kickstart profile listing several packages:

%packages  --nobase
@core
yum
sqlite
rhn-setup
rhncfg-actions
cloudtv

The bottom one, cloudtv, represents (through dependencies) a larger set of software components, each having their own dependencies on, usually, stock library packages.

My problem is that some of these deeper dependencies are silently not installed when using the kickstart (from a PXE boot). For example, indirectly, a dependency on net-snmp (standard centos) is listed. When PXE installing with this kickstart profile, net-snmp indeed does get installed, but its dependency “lm_sensors” for some reason does not (while it is available, as you can read below).

If I log in on that eventually provisioned system, and I ask a yum deplist of net-snmp, lm_sensors is listed as provider for the dependency libsensors.so.3:

  dependency: libsensors.so.3()(64bit)
   provider: lm_sensors.x86_64 2.10.7-9.el5

a yum list net-snmp gives:

  # yum list net-snmp
  Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, rhnplugin
  Installed Packages
  net-snmp.x86_64                  1:5.3.2.2-9.el5_5.1                   installed

Then, oddly, if I do a yum reinstall net-snmp it says:

# yum reinstall net-snmp
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, rhnplugin
Setting up Reinstall Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package net-snmp.x86_64 1:5.3.2.2-9.el5_5.1 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libsensors.so.3()(64bit) for package: net-snmp
--> Running transaction check
---> Package lm_sensors.x86_64 0:2.10.7-9.el5 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

   Package          Arch         Version                     Repository      Size
  Reinstalling:
   net-snmp         x86_64       1:5.3.2.2-9.el5_5.1         centos56       702 k
  Installing for dependencies:
   lm_sensors       x86_64       2.10.7-9.el5                centos56       525 k

  Transaction Summary
  Install       1 Package(s)
  Upgrade       0 Package(s)
  Remove        0 Package(s)
  Reinstall     1 Package(s)
  Downgrade     0 Package(s)

  Total download size: 1.2 M
  Is this ok [y/N]:

So now it does know that lm_sensors should be installed. Why didn't it see that during kickstart?

lm_sensors is just in the centos channel, and does not seem to have any special status. No related errors are logged in the /root/install.log. So I'm puzzled.

I have similar issues with at least another package. Net-snmp is just an example.

Anyone?

Do you believe this is a spacewalk issue? Or a yum issue? Is it an issue at all? (for me, it is!)

Your help is much appreciated!

Andre