[Spacewalk-list] initial setup on shared server

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Apr 13 20:53:01 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've been waiting to install Spacewalk until PostgreSQL was supported.
With 1.7 I gave it a shot.

The server is Fedora 16 and already has the following services
configured for non-Spacewalk use:
jabberd2 - IM use in intranet
cobbler - for PXE boot of RHEL6 images
Apache - Mediawiki, bugzilla, koji, and other web pages
389 server - intranet user authentication
PostgreSQL - wiki, bugzilla, koji and some other apps use this

I followed the PostgreSQL setup successfully. When I started the
Spacewalk setup I ran into issues:

1. jabberd was taken over and users lost connectivity. I had to restore
my jabberd config for now.
2. Apache was taken over and would not start. I had to restore my
ssl.conf file and turn off nss.
3. At the end of Spacewalk setup I received this error:
Tomcat failed to start properly or the installer ran out of tries.
Please check /var/log/tomcat*/catalina.out for errors.
However, I do not see any error messages in the catalina.out file and
there is a java process running so it looks like tomcat is running.

Would it be easier to run Spacewalk inside of a private virtual machine
or is it possible to mesh with my existing services?

Thanks,
Michael