[Spacewalk-list] initial setup on shared server

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 06:13:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 03:53:01PM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been waiting to install Spacewalk until PostgreSQL was supported.
> With 1.7 I gave it a shot.
>
> The server is Fedora 16 and already has the following services
> configured for non-Spacewalk use:
> jabberd2 - IM use in intranet
> cobbler - for PXE boot of RHEL6 images
> Apache - Mediawiki, bugzilla, koji, and other web pages
> 389 server - intranet user authentication
> PostgreSQL - wiki, bugzilla, koji and some other apps use this
>
> I followed the PostgreSQL setup successfully. When I started the
> Spacewalk setup I ran into issues:
>
> 1. jabberd was taken over and users lost connectivity. I had to restore
> my jabberd config for now.
> 2. Apache was taken over and would not start. I had to restore my
> ssl.conf file and turn off nss.
> 3. At the end of Spacewalk setup I received this error:
> Tomcat failed to start properly or the installer ran out of tries.
> Please check /var/log/tomcat*/catalina.out for errors.
> However, I do not see any error messages in the catalina.out file and
> there is a java process running so it looks like tomcat is running.

If Apache did not start due to cofiguration clash, that's the cause
for this error message. The spacewalk-setup checks tomcat by doing
a request to Apache (to be handled by tomcat).

> Would it be easier to run Spacewalk inside of a private virtual machine
> or is it possible to mesh with my existing services?

It is very likely possible, it's just not something that
spacewalk-setup supports / does at this moment. We will be happy to
review patches to make Spacewalk easier to install alongside existing
user configuration on the same Apache / jabberd / etc.

--
Jan Pazdziora