[Spacewalk-list] What to do after installation? (CertCreation issue, etc)

fnwsa at yahoo.com fnwsa at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 16:49:17 UTC 2012

Hi, The following procedure regarding Spacewalk setup is my understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong:

After installing Spacewalk server, we need to:
(1) Create certificates for Spacewalk on the Spacewalk server,
(2) Setup Software Channel on the Spacewalk server,
(3) Build RPM repository on the Spacewalk server,
(4) Install Spacewalk client software on all RHEL systems,
(5) Patch Spacewalk clients from the Spacewalk server.

Are steps (2) and (3) the same? Did I miss something here?

The document CertCreation is kind of confusing. The author assumed readers knowing everything. Unfortunately at least I don't. Here are my questions:

(1) According to "Set the web.gpg_keyring in /usr/share/rhn/config-defaults/rhn_web.conf to your newly exported keyring.", I did

# vi /usr/share/rhn/config-defaults/rhn_web.conf
web.gpg_keyring = /root/mycertkey.gpg

Correct?

(2) I got lost in the following instructions:

"Signing the Certificate
1. Download the ​scripts_gen-oss-sat-cert.pl script to your Spacewalk.
2. Modify the template.cert or create a new certifcate to sign
3. Review the usage statement from scripts_gen-oss-sat-cert.pl:
4. Make sure you import your public and secret keys as the user you are running the script.
    gpg --import mycertkey.gpg
    gpg --import mysecretkey.gpg
    Resign/sign the cert, for example:
    perl scripts_gen-oss-sat-cert.pl --signer 74E73973 --resign template-eval.cert"

What's template.cert and how to modify it (step 2)? How to create a new certificate and why (step 2)? How to use the script (step 3)? How to do the step (4)?

Sorry I don't fully understand these statements. I hope to see some clear samples.

Thank you much for your help in advance!!

Nick