[Spacewalk-list] Firewall requires internal Mirroring EPEL and spacewalk repos

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 18:43:09 UTC 2012

Well the important thing if you want to register existing clients is to
install the packages in the spacewalk client repo,  EPEL is not required
for this.

after you do that you just need to run rhnreg_ks with the activation key
for the appropriate base channel and the server url

If you dont intend to run osad you will need to run rhnsd instead which
does check ins with the spacewalk server at regular intervals. The big
difference betwean the two is osad keeps an active encrypted connection to
a jabber instance running on the spacewalk server so they can communicate
in real time, and rhnsd runs rhn_check every few minutes to check if any
thing needs to be executed via the XML RPC API via https.

As far as what url to use for mirroring EPEL just look at a box that
already has EPEL configured in yum and copy url in the mirrorlist and or
baseurl fields from /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo.