[Spacewalk-list] server hw dimensioning and usage questions

Jan Hutař jhutar at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 11:02:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:12:59 +0200 "Mgr. Peter Hudec"
<peter.hudec at cnc.sk> wrote:

> >> 4) spacewalk monitoring function
> >> Could anyone explain me this function and if it works on
> >> debian based clients? I need to get upon request the disk
> >> space usage of the notebook. As the notebooks are mobile,
> >> the ip address is not fixed, so there is very hard to use
> >> monitoring system.
> >
> > I do not know scope of Debian clients support (-> slukasik or
> > msuchy), but I guess monitoring is not supported.
> >
> > Generally using monitoring you can record status of the
> > client system and its services (load, is httpd running?, ping
> > response...) and generate graphs and send alert mails based
> > on some criteria.
>
> I will try to ask msuchy about debian support. As the clients
> are mobile  not online 24/7 the only services i need to
> monitor is disk space and battery status.

I see. This sounds like something for Monitoring. You could
either create a new probe "check battery status" ("check disk
space" is already there). I guess new probe could be accepted by
devels. Or, you can use general "run remote program and record
exit status" probe if it would solve your needs.

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Hutar     Systems Management QA