[Spacewalk-list] Patching apt

Simon Lukasik slukasik at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 10:39:05 UTC 2012

On 11/30/2012 08:36 PM, Alain DELEGLISE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if it's really a good idea to have debian servers (or
> Ubuntu) registered with a spacewalk server, as far as I know, I should
> patch apt for those servers.

IIRC, patching APT shall no longer be needed. An equivalent of the
spacewalk patch has been accepted by APT upstream. Sadly, I do not
recall into which version. Maybe Mirek?

And the 'apt-transport-spacewalk' has been accepted to Debian unstable
on 2012-06-26.

> Can you guys tell me if it woth the work, and if the pxe/puppet/nagios
> installation is much secure and reliable, than the whole (attractive I
> admit it) Spacewalk thing.

To measure security or reliability you need to define what a security
means to you and some metric to measure. Preferably a statistic test.

Without having a metric, I can only give you my opinions and thoughts.
Which are that Spacewalk is the best. :)

--
Simon Lukasik
Security Technologies