[Spacewalk-list] error on schema upgrade after upgrading to 1.8

Maria Iano maria at purplecoffee.com
Wed Dec 5 02:14:31 UTC 2012

I have a 32-bit RHEL 5.8 server which was running spacewalk 1.7. Today
I upgraded it to 1.8 and that seemed to work without any problems.
However, when I ran spacewalk-schema-upgrade it died with this error
at the end of the log file:

                                  ?column?
  spacewalk-schema-1.7-to-spacewalk-schema-1.8/143-novell-package-
keys.sql
(1 row)

psql:/var/log/spacewalk/schema-upgrade/20121204-162859-script.sql:
2356: ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint
"rhn_pkg_provider_name_uq"

I took a look at line 2356 in /var/log/spacewalk/schema-upgrade/
20121204-162859-script.sql and here it is with the previous line:

insert into rhnPackageProvider (id, name) values
(sequence_nextval('rhn_package_provider_id_seq'), 'Novell Inc.' );

Out of curiosity I tried restoring the database and running that query
on its own and it ran with no error. I tried the upgrade after running
that, and also after restoring again but it died both times with the
same error.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks,
Maria