[Spacewalk-list] RHN macro to get short hostname

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at myriad.com
Wed Dec 19 14:48:32 UTC 2012

Submit a custom system info variable back to the host profile and use
that in the config file.  I have a bash script that runs during a build
that generates the values for variables then submits them back with a
python script.

ie:

#!/bin/bash
/root/bin/submit_custom_system_info.py hostname_short `hostname -s`

#!/usr/bin/python
import xmlrpclib
import getpass
import sys
from socket import gethostname

SATELLITE_URL = "https://spacewalk.myriad.com/rpc/api"
SATELLITE_LOGIN = "submitvar"
SATELLITE_PASSWORD = "SubV at R1t"
client = xmlrpclib.Server(SATELLITE_URL, verbose=0)
key = client.auth.login(SATELLITE_LOGIN, SATELLITE_PASSWORD)

fin = open('/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid')
file = list()
for line in fin:
   file.append(line)

system_id = int(file[file.index('<name>system_id</name>\n')+1][18:28])

field_name = sys.argv[1]
field_value = sys.argv[2]
print "%s: %s: %s\n" % (system_id,field_name,field_value)
client.system.setCustomValues(key,system_id,{field_name: field_value})

client.auth.logout(key)