[Spacewalk-list] looking for kernel mangement recommendations

Spacewalk User spacewalk at epperson.homelinux.net
Thu Dec 20 14:05:02 UTC 2012

We have 3 levels, but do something similar. Dev gets cloned from
from the Red Hat channel, QA from dev, prod from QA. Servers that can't
accept random kernel updates (e.g. Oracle ASM/OCFS boxes) blacklist the
kernel* packages on the client side. We have to coordinate with customer
DBAs for them to sync up Oracle packages to a new kernel, so that's
manual in any case on such systems.

On 2012-12-20 7:02, Ree,
Jan-Albert van wrote:

> I used to do patch management at a big hosting
company (all this was with Satellite 5.3 , I'm assuming things like this
haven't changed since), where we had 4 system levels (DEV, TEST,
ACCEPTANCE and PROD) each with their own schedules.

> What I did
was

> - Make a structure with parent + child channels
> - Clone these
for each system level
> - Subscribe the system to the level applicable

- Now when patch day for a level is up, do a sync from the master
channel to the clone channel for that level (either an automatic full or
a manual package-by-package, in which case you can hold back whatever
you want)