[Spacewalk-list] centos-errata.py & package_dir value

David Nutter david.nutter at bioss.ac.uk
Thu Feb 9 17:11:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 12:34:42PM +0000, Peter Purvis wrote:
> Thanks Ege,
>
> I've just tried against our updates repo, which it turns out is really out
> of date which in turn causes the script to fail as it can't find the
> packages.
>
> Will grab a more recent sync now and see if that works.
>
> Seems a bit counter intuitive that the packages are needed for the errata
> script to work? Perhaps someone can explain the process.

Basically the script needs the package NVREA that spacewalk has in
order to find the package and associate it with the errata. The only
way to get this reliably is to extract it from the RPM itself. So you
need the updates repo for this to work.

In the past it was possible to search spacewalk itself using the
package checksum to find packages. However, changes to the format of
the centos-announce list (namely use of sha256 signatures) have broken
this, at least for those of us with channels with their base signature
type set to md5sum.

Other posters to this list have indicated that changing the channel
signature type makes all well again but I have yet to test this
myself.

Other approaches such as indexing /var/satellite directly have been
proposed as well. I've yet to evaluate any of these.

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
James Hutton Institute (JHI), a registered Scottish charity No. SC041796
and a company limited by guarantee No. SC374831