[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk 1.6 Database problem

Scott Worthington scott.c.worthington at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 14:49:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM, John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
<snip>
> channels.  I've done nothing else.  After about a minute or two I start
> getting
> stuck SQL queries.  Over time these build up until I run out of connections
> postgres.
>
> ps lists them as "UPDATE waiting".
>
>> From within postgres I've done:

<snip>

> Some form of locking problem?
>
> Database is postgresql-8.4.9-1.el6_1.1.x86_64
>
> Thanks for any pointers,
>
> jh

I have found that, in my setting, on Spacewalk 1.6 on CentOS 6.2, using pgtune,
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtune/, and customizing /var/lib/pgsql
/data/postgresql.conf from the stock configuration file settings has improved
the speed of queries and even imports (via rhnpush -- though, they
still start to slow
down after 3,000 file pushes).

Others have found success with the stock /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf.
However, I have over 50K packages in Spacewalk, and the default postgresql
config was not adequate.

I am running the same version of postgresql as you.

Hope that helps, but it doesn't answer your question if you have some
form of locking issue or if there was a problem with your upgrade.