[Spacewalk-list] osad does not pick up tasks...but ping is ok

uri van creveld uri.van.creveld at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 20:25:59 UTC 2012

Hi,
I'm running a spacewalk 1.5 server on rhel 5.5, with about 10 rhel 5/6 clients.
The db is oracle xe, everything installed by the wiki instructions.
For some reason it seems that package installations or remote commands
are not executed until I run rhn_check or wait for rhnsd.
This is very annoying. it worked for a short period of time but now it does not.
I didn't find any errors in the log files.... osad.log says it is
connected to server, and when i perform ping (from the gui) i see it
in the logs, and it seems fine.

I do get an error when osa-dispatcher starts up (when running
spacewalk-service start) - it says it can't connect to jabberd. but
after a few retries (or a 'service osa-dispatcher restart') the log
says connection is ok.
i searched the web and didn't find anything usefull... so here I am.
please help...

thanks