[Spacewalk-list] serious problem with profile rollback

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at myriad.com
Thu Jan 26 14:36:54 UTC 2012

I use rollbacks fairly extensively both via the provisioning events
rollback and via package profiles. Also use the profiles to sync
machines. At least on RHEL5 and so far RHEL6 it has been by in large
successful.

Suspect there is some issue with your channel setup and/or package
availability. Normally when they are not available it will tell you as
such but I have seen some oddities when the client doesnt see this but
SW does.

Below I attempted to duplicate what you did and at least on my end it
was successful. This does not help you much but I can confirm it can
work so I dont think the sync to package profiles are broken in this way
though they do have some issues. Might be worth making sure your
metadata caches are all cleaned up etc.

Server:SW 1.5 on RHEL 5.6
Client:RHEL 5.4

1)Created profile of system.

2)Upgrade the following on left to that on right(this was listed by SW):
         vim-common-7.0.109-7.el5:2.x86_64
vim-common-7.0.109-6.el5:2.x86_64
         vim-enhanced-7.0.109-7.el5:2.x86_64
vim-enhanced-7.0.109-6.el5:2.x86_64
         vim-minimal-7.0.109-7.el5:2.x86_64
vim-minimal-7.0.109-6.el5:2.x86_64

3)Went back to software and "sync'd" the server back to the profile
created in step #1.

SW indicated it would do the following:
vim-common      x86_64  Downgrade to 7.0.109-6.el5:2
vim-enhanced    x86_64  Downgrade to 7.0.109-6.el5:2
vim-minimal     x86_64  Downgrade to 7.0.109-6.el5:2

During the process I watched the installed rpms:
root at beholder:~# rpm -qa | grep -i vim
vim-minimal-7.0.109-6.el5
vim-common-7.0.109-6.el5
vim-enhanced-7.0.109-6.el5
root at beholder:~# rpm -qa | grep -i vim
vim-common-7.0.109-7.el5
vim-minimal-7.0.109-7.el5
vim-enhanced-7.0.109-7.el5