[Spacewalk-list] FW:- systems not getting updated

Caetano, Greg (APS VirtualSystem/VMware) Greg.Caetano at hp.com
Mon Jul 30 19:00:43 UTC 2012

This is RHN Satellite v5.4.1

Has anyone else seen this behavior with client reporting "'Error while executing packages action: empty transaction', {})" when attempting system updates

I can see that there are updates available for all three of them, but if I do a "yum list updates", nothing shows up. If I set the system at the Satellite to push out the updates, and then run rhn_check from the clients, it silently fails. The /var/log/up2date log on the client shows repeated entries of "up2date logging into up2date server" followed by "up2date successfully retrieved authentication token from up2date server", but the updates are never transferred. The /var/log/yum.log file shows the last update coming in on June 05. I ran a tcpdump session during one of the rhn_check runs but it just shows repeated cycles that match those repeating entries in /var/log/up2date, presumably one for each package available for download.

"# rhn_check -vvvv" reports "'Error while executing packages action: empty transaction', {})" on the systems. A search of bugzilla showed this error in a Fedora release but not RHEL. The fix was to updated yum but we are still seeing the issue after manually updating yum to the latest release. RHEL6.1 and RHEL6.2 systems are affected.

D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Name rdonly mode=0x0

D:  read h#     618 Header sanity check: OK

D: added key gpg-pubkey-fd431d51-4ae0493b to keyring

D:  read h#     619 Header sanity check: OK

D: added key gpg-pubkey-2fa658e0-45700c69 to keyring

D: Using legacy gpg-pubkey(s) from rpmdb

D:  read h#     633 Header sanity check: OK

D:  read h#     632 Header sanity check: OK

D: closed   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Name

D: closed   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages

D: closed   db environment /var/lib/rpm

D: Sending back response((6,), 'Error while executing packages action: empty transaction', {})

D: do_callpackages.checkNeedUpdate('rhnsd=1',){}

D: local action status: (0, 'rpm database not modified since last update (or package list recently updated)', {})

D: rpcServer: Calling XMLRPC registration.welcome_message

D: closed   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Providename

D: closed   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Name

D: closed   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages

D: closed   db environment /var/lib/rpm

Greg Caetano
Hewlett-Packard Company
Enterprise Group - Alliances, Performance & Solutions COE
Houston TX
CCA6.8.405 Office: 281-514-5966
Home Office: 281-547-7852
greg.caetano at hp.com