[Spacewalk-list] How to send remote commands

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 08:38:41 UTC 2012

Brian Weddell wrote:
% I'm new to this functionality of Spacewalk.  I'm running version 1.7.
%
% My clients for the most part are CentOS 5.8.
%
% I tried to run a simple command and it isn't working (I'll go into more detail).
%
% Here is the process I followed:
% Clicked on Systems
% Selected one or all and selected Manage (shows non-zero number of systems
% selected)
% Under Provisioning, I selected remote commands
%
% The next screen says the following script will be scheduled to run on the
% systems listed below:
% There are no systems just under this text or at the bottom of the screen.
%
% Anyway, I put in a simple ls command under #!/bin/sh.
% When I click on Schedule Remote Command, it says
%
% No systems.

Hello Brian,

this would mean none of your selected systems have provisioning entitlement.

% This sounds like I'm simply not doing this right.  Can someone tell me
% what I'm doing wrong?

Moreover client system must have remote commands enabled (run
        rhn-actions-control --enable-run
on it). Otherwise you will see
        Client execution returned "Local permission not set for action type script.run" (code 42)

% Oh, and by the way I did turn on the add-on entitlement of
% provisioning as part of this.  I thought it might be relevant but
% there was no change.

That's strange, are there any error in logs?

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat