[Spacewalk-list] how to block yum usage on client systems

Brian Collins brianc at sedata.com
Thu Jun 7 17:48:36 UTC 2012

> My issues is identical to yours.
>
> I'm afraid to give users YUM access as they will begin Installing stuff left and
> right, bypassing the other system we use for package deployment - HP SA
> (aka Opsware).

If they have root, they can also just go grab tarballs, make them, and install them.  Or they can wget pre-built RPMs and install them using 'RPM'.  The real problem is that you have users with root access whom you do not trust.  THAT is the problem to fix.  Either trust them or remove root from them.

Also, what software might they install that you do not want them having?

--Brian Collins