[Spacewalk-list] RHEL5, 1.5, Oracle to RHEL6, 1.7, Postgres

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at myriad.com
Tue Mar 13 16:57:37 UTC 2012

I am looking for recommendations on how to go about a major system
upgrade from:

RHEL5
SW 1.5
Oracle 11g

to:

RHEL6
SW 1.7
Postgres

My first thought was:
)Upgrade existing system to 1.7 as per the normal.
)Shutdown SW.
)Dump db for use in postgres.
)Backup data(ssl, jabberd etc) again.
)NOTE: /var/satellite is an NFS mount.
)Shutdown system.
)Rebuild system with same name but on updated RHEL6.
)Mount the /var/satellite nfs.
)Install Postgres
)Install SW 1.7 using postgres.
)Shutdown SW.
)Push the Oracle dump back into posgres by following the OracleToPosgres
wiki page.

Seems like I would at least have some SSL issues client side with this.
Easy enough to solve.

What else is busted about that process or is there a better route? ie:
Build an entirely new system and somehow sync everything to it while
both are live.

I considered just trying to upgrade the existing system from RHEL5 to 6
but RH doesnt really "support" that so I tend to avoid it and opt for
clean installs.

I would have snapshots of the original system and oracle before the
first upgrade. The /var/satellite NFS share though I would not which is
a bit dodgy at best. Though I might have a way around this.