[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk server update list different from yum

Velayutham, Prakash Prakash.Velayutham at cchmc.org
Tue May 29 13:09:45 UTC 2012

On May 29, 2012, at 3:23 AM, Michael Mraka wrote:

Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:
% On Mon, 28 May 2012 14:13:04 +0000
% "Velayutham, Prakash" <Prakash.Velayutham at cchmc.org<mailto:Prakash.Velayutham at cchmc.org>> wrote:
%
% > Hi,
% >
% > I just noticed that the update list for one of the clients (I am sure
% > there are other clients with this issue too) is different when I
% > check using "yum check-update" on the client compared to what the
% > Spacewalk server shows. Is this expected?
% >
% > Spacewalk version - 1.6
%
% I noticed it too, even with 1.7: it seems that "yum update" (or
% check-update) also lists packages that will replace other packages,
% while spacewalk just seems to update to the newest version of each of
% the installed packages, plus dependancies.

Another reason for this behavior could be use of yum plugins
which modify list of packages - e.g. priorities, protect-packages,
protectbase, versionlock etc.

Spacewalk has no idea what's filtered out locally on the client.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat

Thanks for the response. Here is more information. Here is what I have installed in the client wrt yum.

[root at client ~]# rpm -qa | grep yum
yum-3.2.29-22.el6.centos.2.noarch
yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-16.el6.x86_64
yum-plugin-security-1.1.30-10.el6.noarch
yum-rhn-plugin-1.6.16-1.el6.noarch
yum-plugin-fastestmirror-1.1.30-10.el6.noarch
yum-utils-1.1.30-10.el6.noarch

My client says the following.

[root at client ~]# yum check-update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, rhnplugin, security

glibc.x86_64                                                                                                 2.12-1.47.el6_2.9                                                                                          centos6-updates-x86_64
glibc-common.x86_64                                                                                          2.12-1.47.el6_2.9                                                                                          centos6-updates-x86_64
nscd.x86_64                                                                                                  2.12-1.47.el6_2.9                                                                                          centos6-updates-x86_64
tzdata.noarch                                                                                                2012b-3.el6                                                                                                centos6-updates-x86_64

And, here is what the server shows for this client.

[cid:ABC1CE39-33F9-4BD6-995A-CD5B1E86C237]

Where should I look to understand the discrepancy?

Thanks,
Prakash