[Spacewalk-list] Thoughts on upgrade/conversion to PostgreSQL

Duehr, Nate nduehr at alpineaccess.com
Tue May 29 23:00:07 UTC 2012

I may have accidentally painted myself into a corner here.  Looking for opinions…

Currently I have a Spacewalk 1.6 server which was set up using Oracle 11 XE for testing purposes.  It has been working great, and at 1.6 there were some concerns about PostgreSQL support being weak.

Today I noticed that Oracle started complaining that we exceeded the 11GB limit.  Oops.  My mistake.

I'm willing to give PostgreSQL a spin now, but with the Oracle DB full, I'm concerned that any "normal" upgrade process might need to write to it which would be denied and break the upgrade scripts.

Would order-of-operation help in this case?  For example, could the process at https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/PostgreSQLFromOracle be used to convert to PostgreSQL in place on 1.6, and then an immediate upgrade to 1.7?

Worst-case, I have a second server doing nothing at the moment, and it can be built up as a PostgreSQL 1.7 machine and all clients re-registered to the new server -- I was just thinking through ideas on how to get the current server up to PostgreSQL/1.7 directly.

That's question number one.

Question two would be… are there any good options for seeing if there's any wasted space in the Oracle DB and compressing it down to possibly get through the normal upgrade and conversion processes?  Perhaps this should have been question number one.  I'm not an Oracle expert, and would love to be rid of it anyway…

Thanks,

Nate Duehr
Sr. Linux Engineer

Alpine Access  |  www.alpineaccess.com<http://www.alpineaccess.com>
Phone: 303.850.3736  |   Mobile: 303.594.5444

This E-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.