[Spacewalk-list] Unable to retrieve package metadata--(spacewalk 1.7/postgres backend)

Udip Ranjit udip.ranjit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 20:26:20 UTC 2012

I have been trying kickstart a system (while including the spacewalk client
and other packages). When the install gets to the packages, i keep getting
this error:

"Unable to read package metadata....cannot retrieve repository
metadata..verify path & try again."

I uploaded the spacewalk client packages to my spacewalk server by
"spacewalk-repo-sync..." as a separate child channel to the base channel
with centos packages. and also have some other packages {'rhnpush'-ed from
local storage} as child channels in the same base channel checked in the
"Kickstart-->Profiles-->Operating system" tab.

In the logs (catalina.out) i see this string of error messages :

2012-11-07 14:41:57,765 [TP-Processor8] ERROR
com.redhat.rhn.frontend.action.common.DownloadFile -
/var/cache/rhn/repodata/spwclient_1.7_el6_x86_64/repomd.xml Not Found ..
404!

2012-11-08 14:33:06,928 [TP-Processor3] ERROR
com.redhat.rhn.frontend.action.common.DownloadFile -
/var/cache/rhn/repodata/nagios_client/repomd.xml Not Found

..
.

The "/var/cache/rhn/repodata.." directory doesnot exist for the child
channels/packages...

A similar directory tree exists as
"/var/cache/rhn/reposync/spwclient_1.7_el6_x86_64/repomd.xml" but only for
the spacewalk client child channel and not for the other child channels.

I might be wrong here but,  is the "/var/cache/rhn/repodata.." directory
tree a result of the channel creation/package upload process? As the
"/var/cache/rhn/reposync/.." directory tree for the spacewalk client
packages seem to be a result of the 'sapcewalk-repo-sync' command. why did
the other packages that were uploaded from local storage by rhnpush did not
result in similar directory trees??

some extensive googling yielded a suggestion to change the server
parameters in the /etc/cobbler/settings to the ip address of the spacewalk
server...that did not resolve my issue.

apologies for a rather contorted body of email ..trying to convey any/all
relevant info as coherently as possible... any suggestions/help would be
appreciated.

Regards,
Udip Ranjit