[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk 1.7 w/ postgresql crashed

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 09:58:22 UTC 2012

> I'm not sure if its Java that used too much memory or PostgreSQL, but
> I can tell you I never run PostgreSQL on a server with only 2GB of ram
> if i can avoid it.
> there is probably some tuning that will be required to make it work
> correctly also 1.7 has some known issues with leaving connections to
> PostgreSQL running in transactions when it doesn't need them any more
> and each one of those connections uses ram upgrading to 1.8 might
> help.

Although 1.8 brought a lot of nice things it looks like there might be some
connection/lock leak issues on postgres requiring a rhn-satellite restart
every day (with osad) or every few days or som without it...

I can say though that 2GB seems awfully low for Spacewalk... I've never
given an instance less than 4GB and preferably 6GB+ to allow the system to
cache as much as possible etc - it really makes a huge difference in
performance.