[Spacewalk-list] spacewalk-postgresql-1.8.6-1.el5.noarch.rpm requires postgresql84-contrib

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 08:00:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:12:17PM -0700, Jeremy Davis wrote:

> What I am really asking is if we can update the rpm require lines to
> reflect postgresql-contrib instead of postgresql84-contrib and use the

No. There does not seem to be any such thing as postgresql-contrib which
would be compatible with postgresql84-server on RHEL 5. The package
postgresql84-contrib does not Provide postgresql-contrib.

> postgresql >= 8.4 as the means to make sure we get at least 8.4 when
> installed via yum. This also seems a lot cleaner than requiring
> postgresql84-contrib when that package provides postgresql-contrib in the
> package.

The postgresql-contrib in RHEL 5 is version 8.1. 8.1 < 8.4.

If you don't like the Requires list in the spacewalk-postgresql
package, just don't use it and install all dependencies manually.

> to choose which version of PostgreSQL to use, help smash any bugs that are
> found with different versions, and allow Spacewalk to support newer version
> more quickly.

It is not our plan to support newer versions of PostgreSQL on
RHEL 5. If you get it working, fine. We like to stay with the database
version provided by the OS.

> If I can't use 9.1 than I would recommend that you update the wiki or allow
> me to update the wiki to change the documentation to state that only 8.4 is
> a solid requirement and that you can't use a newer version.

You can just fine, on Fedoras, for example.

--
Jan Pazdziora