[Spacewalk-list] Bootstrapping CentOS

Matthew Ceroni matthewceroni at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:51:20 UTC 2012

Hi:

I have a few questions about bootstrapping CentOS since the Spacewalk
client tools are not in the main repository.

First, looking at the generated KS file I see the following:

mkdir -p /tmp/rhn_rpms/optional
cd /tmp/rhn_rpms/optional
wget -P /tmp/rhn_rpms/optional
http://cm-c1spacewalk01.clairmail.local/download/package/bad5d3d8534cc23e29f0010d4897996b307feae8/0/6/18871/rhnlib-2.5.51-1.el6.noarch.rpm
http://cm-c1spacewalk01.clairmail.local/download/package/53912b082ec29a6f8149b971c02a40d948dc9d7e/0/6/15934/pyOpenSSL-0.10-2.el6.x86_64.rpm
http://cm-c1spacewalk01.clairmail.local/download/package/25cf8b2d782180362991748a8b292f0980f2acb0/0/6/39145/libxml2-python-2.7.6-8.el6_3.3.x86_64.rpm

I figured this was doing the initial bootstraping, but there are two
issues. First the libxml2-python fails to install because libxml2 is
also required. Second, the rhnlib package doesn't contain the
rhnreg_ks or rhn_register programs.

My first question is, what is the point of installing the above? I
looked through all the /var/lib/cobbler files to see where I can see
this snippet so I could modify to install what is needed, but couldn't
find it.

Second question is, does anyone have a link to a document outlining a
good way to bootstrap CentOS images?

Thanks