[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart/DNS issue

Mike Wilson mrwboilers at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 14:56:53 UTC 2012

I just built a spacewalk server and I'm trying to use it to kickstart the
build of another box. It mostly works fine, with 2 exceptions:

1. When the CentOS install starts, it says that it can't find the
stage2.img file. It is trying to find it by the DNS name of my spacewalk
server. It will let me edit where it's looking, and if I replace the server
name with the server IP address, then it finds the file and the OS install
completes. My spacewalk server provides DHCP, and valid DNS servers are
included in the DHCP scope. After the install is complete and the newly
built server boots up, it gets DHCP from the spacewalk server,
/etc/resolv.conf is properly populated and I can successfully do an
nslookup of the spacewalk server on it. So as far as I can tell, DHCP and
DNS are working. Any suggestions?

2. When the kickstart completes, the newly built server is not registered
in spacewalk. Shouldn't it be? Or do they always need to be registered
manually? Or is it best to have it be registered through a post install
script? I do have an activation key associated with the kickstart profile,
and I've set up the tools child channel as outlined here:
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToKickstartCobbler

Any guidance is appreciated.