[Spacewalk-list] why does Tomcat break if you move the webapps/rhn?

Matthew Patton mpatton at inforelay.com
Sat Sep 1 07:39:50 UTC 2012

I don't much care for Spacewalk's penchant for scattering stuff about
/var. So I moved most of it off to /opt/spacewalk. What really chapped my
behind was when I moved /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/rhn and symlinked it to
/opt/spacewalk/webapp. Java couldn't load any .jar in /usr/share/java as
referenced from within ./WEB-INF/lib. SELINUX has long since been off but
that didn't matter. I had no problem reading the .jar files as uid=tomcat
so was further perplexed.

I forcibly removed the SELINUX security contexts from the .jar files but
no such luck with symlinks. 'setfattr -h -x ...' didn't actually do
anything.

What is it about how tomcat6 is launched that it respects selinux contexts
even when it's been set off across the entire system?

--
Cloud Services Architect, Senior System Administrator
InfoRelay Online Systems (www.inforelay.com)