[Spacewalk-list] Interactive install using Spacewalk/Cobbler

Matthew Patton mpatton at inforelay.com
Tue Sep 4 03:54:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 09:05:19 -0400, Velayutham, Prakash
<Prakash.Velayutham at cchmc.org> wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2012, at 11:12 PM, Matthew Patton wrote:
>> I use a makefile to create ks files on the fly from component parts. No
>> second guessing required.
>
> Can you explain a little bit more on how you do this? Where do you keep
> your hand-written kickstart file? How does a PXE booting node know to
> get it from that location? I am not a kickstart expert.

when the client bootstraps I have for example something like the following
on my kernel line

ks=http://spacewalk/cgi-bin/ksbuilder.sh?pkgset=minimal+cluster&disk=40&profile=cloud

ksbuilder.sh is just a shell script that runs 'sed' against some fragments
of anaconda files, and then runs 'make' to glue all the fragments together
and spits out a fully-fleshed out kickstart script on stdout which the
anaconda installer ingests and runs.

PXE booting is just a matter of telling your dhcp server to provide the
necessary boot string when a particular MAC address checks in.

My earlier comment was probably too harsh WRT cobbler. It is useful in
some contexts. I just find the hassle not worth it.

--
Cloud Services Architect, Senior System Administrator
InfoRelay Online Systems (www.inforelay.com)