[Spacewalk-list] use-case for multiple repositories associated with a single channel?

Jeremy Davis jdavis4102 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 22:21:25 UTC 2012

Hello Matthew,

I use the following for my channels.

centos-production-v6-64bit-base = CentOS OS repo
centos-production-v6-64bit-updates (child of
centos-production-v6-64bit-base) = CentOS Updates repo
centos-production-v6-64bit-extras (child of
centos-production-v6-64bit-base) = CentOS Extras repo
spacewalk-client-v6-64bit (child of centos-production-v6-64bit-base) =
Spacewalk Client repo.

This configuration allows me to have the current version of CentOS that is
released as I use the url http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/   and not
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.3/ as this allows me to update to major
revisions quickly without having to change anything.

I have not tried two repositories connected to one channel but I think it
might work. I feel using the base channel for the OS and updates channel as
a child channel allow me more control over the packages that get installed
on my systems and keeps separation of the packages in their perspective
channels/repos. Basically I just mirrored what a client configuration would
look like on a system using yum. When you run a yum command you can see
what channels are subscribed and be able to troubleshoot which channel is
having issues. You will also be able to exclude packages based on the
channel as with one channel for all repositories you wouldn't be able to
exclude say kernel from updates as the config you would have to setup would
exclude kernel from all repos as it is only one channel.