[Spacewalk-list] Connections Idle in Transaction

Wojtak, Greg (Superfly) GregWojtak at quickenloans.com
Thu Sep 27 17:54:43 UTC 2012

I asked this a while back and I don't think I ever saw an answer.  I've got a spacewalk 1.6 install on 64-bit CentOS 6 with Postgresql backend.  Every day I see about 50 postgres processes queue up as "postgres: swuser swdb [local] idle in transaction."

I do a restart every night in order to keep my OSA implementation working (it stops responding if I don't do a restart of the services periodically), and the 'idle in transaction' processes start immediately after that.  Sometimes I get more throughout the day, but it seems the mostly pile up within the first 30 seconds or so of restarting.  I see a lot of slowness while doing certain tasks in spacewalk (especially as it relates to kickstart profiles, which, when I make a change to one, seem to time out and give me a 500 error, at which point the changes I made seem to be committed).

Anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot fix these?

I saw in another thread about monitoring.  I do not have monitoring enabled in my spacewalk implementation.  The processes do not seem to abate when I stop OSA dispatcher or jabberd, so it doesn't seem OSA related either.

Greg Wojtak
Sr. Unix Systems Engineer
Office: (313) 373-4306
Cell: (734) 718-8472