[Spacewalk-list] Satellite API, Ruby and an SSL Cert

Mathew Snyder mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 17:01:32 UTC 2013

I'm attempting to connect to the Satellite API with a very simple Ruby
script. It is deliberately simple because I'm not only trying to learn
Ruby, but also the Satellite API.

Right now, my only goal is to be able to log in and maybe list users. The
problem I'm encountering is that we use HTTPS with a self-signed
certificate. I'm not sure how to incorporate that into the script so that I
don't get `connect': SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server
certificate B: certificate verify failed (OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError).

I've read that using net/https within the Ruby script will allow me to
either verify or not verify the certificate. However, I'm not sure how to
then proceed using the session established in that step with my connection
to Satellite.

Is that the proper route or should I look at another? Perhaps getting the
certificate on the server I'm running the script from and using that as a
verification source.

If anyone else has encountered this problem and found a solution I would
really appreciate some help with it.

Ideally I'd like to disable HTTPS since it is sitting on an internal
network. The only incoming connections are from said internal network with
outbound connections only being allowed to RHN. However, whenever I attempt
to disable SSL it seems to break.

-Mathew

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at
all." - God; Futurama

"We'll get along much better once you accept that you're wrong and neither
am I." - Me