[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk in multiple data centers

Stefan Förster cite+spacewalk-users at incertum.net
Sat Apr 27 08:51:44 UTC 2013

Hello world,

are there any "best practice" documents for deploying Spacewalk
servers to multiple data centers in a way that clients will
load-balance and failover on their own? I think there are a number of
challenges here:

1. The actual loadbalancing of HTTP(S) requests. That should be easy
   to handle. Some care should be taken WRT certificates, but that
   shouldn't be a major problem.
2. The (Oracle) database. Should be pretty easy to, set up a physical
   standby and if the primary fails, switchover to the standby
   instance, promote it, edit rhn.conf, restart Spacewalk servers.
3. Actually getting the RPM files from one server to the other -
   rsync'ing them seems like the safest bet.
4. Taskomatic tasks - this one seems like the only real challenge: We
   don't want both spacewalk servers to e.g. scheduele automatic
   errata updates, or send reports.

Did I miss anything important here? Has anyone already done a setup
like this and would like to share his/her experience?

Cheers
Stefan