[Spacewalk-list] spacecmd system_listupgrades not working

Coffman, Anthony J Tony.Coffman at snapon.com
Wed Aug 14 18:43:54 UTC 2013

I can confirm and maybe explain what is going on.  I don't use this function very much but I just tried it on my Spacewalk 2.0 install.

Here is the spacecmd output for a system that the Spacewalk GUI said was up to date.

spacecmd {SSM:0}> system_listupgrades centos5server
kernel-PAE-2.6.18-348.12.1.el5.i686
kernel-PAE-2.6.18-348.12.1.el5.i686

But when I checked what kernel-PAE packages were installed, there were 3 installed currently on that system.

[root at centos5server ~]# rpm -q kernel-PAE
kernel-PAE-2.6.18-348.3.1.el5
kernel-PAE-2.6.18-348.4.1.el5
kernel-PAE-2.6.18-348.12.1.el5

If I remove the two older kernels and then run the listupgrades command it shows no updates

[root at centos5server ~]# rpm -e kernel-PAE-2.6.18-348.3.1.el5
[root at centos5server ~]# rpm -e kernel-PAE-2.6.18-348.4.1.el5
[root@ centos5server ~]# rhn-profile-sync

spacecmd {SSM:0}> system_listupgrades rich-iweb-10-rv
WARNING: No upgrades available for rich-iweb-10-rv

Does this explain it? it's listing the update twice - once for each of the out of date kernels.  The GUI must have some logic that covers this case that the API doesn't have.

Regards,
--Tony