[Spacewalk-list] spacecmd system_listupgrades not working

Tomas Lestach tlestach at redhat.com
Thu Aug 15 13:31:52 UTC 2013

> Is the removal of duplicates the solution?

I believe it would be the easiest and quickest solution.

> Because default on a
> RHEL-derived system, RPM/YUM leaves the 3 latest kernel-packages on
> the system, so you can boot the system with the old kernel of the
> new kernel is not working for you.

Sure.

> Maybe the better solution would be to check if there are older
> packages on the system. If there are older packages and the version
> to which those packages could be upgraded is already present on the
> system, the upgrades aren't listed. This could also comes in handy
> if you have multiple version of a package on your system. For
> instance, the installation or upgrade of JDK7 by RPM doesn't remove
> the old versions.

java-1.5.0-gcj
java-1.7.0-openjdk
java-1.8.0-openjdk
are different packages. java-1.8.0-openjdk isn't really an upgrade of
java-1.7.0-openjdk. Well, it could be considered as upgrade from the
content point of view, but definitely not from the rpm view.

(For java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0.25-2.3.12.3.fc19.x86_64, package name
is 'java-1.7.0-openjdk' (not java) version is 1.7.0.25,
release 2.3.12.3.fc19, ...)

> If you have 3 older versions of the JDK7 on your
> environment and not the latest, the update gets listed 4 times!!

No. You can have only 'kernel' package installed in multiple versions
on one system.

CC'ing Aron, the author of the spacecmd.

Tomas Lestach
Red Hat Satellite Engineering, Red Hat