[Spacewalk-list] Repo update question

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at onpointfc.com
Thu Aug 15 14:48:41 UTC 2013

Hey, all.

I'm continuing to tweak and/or try to bend Spacewalk to my
will.  This morning, I ran "yum update" on one of my
servers, and noticed that there was a Samba update (from
Sernet).  This wasn't reflected in the Samba channels I
created in Spacewalk, which is OK, since I have these
channels set to update every Saturday afternoon, the first
of which comes up this Saturday.  But, to make sure
everything works as it should, I updated the channels
manually from the CLI.  Worked fine.

Now, as per help through an earlier post, I created cloned
channels of the original Samba channels so as to be rid of
the x86_64 packages, which I don't use, and which without
being rid of would cause the updates to my machines to
fail.  Also works fine.

BUT, I noticed after the manual update that my machines
weren't seeing the new Samba packages.  It was only after I
1) deleted the previous version packages in the original
Samba channels, and 2) deleted the packages in the cloned
Samba channels, that my machines now saw that updates were
available.

I understand from the previous post that I have to
accomplish 2) either manually or via a script.  My question
though (and sorry it's taken me so long to get here) is
should newly updated packages replace older ones in my
original Samba channels (or any channels, for that matter),
or must I go through this two-step process each time an
update occurs?

Regards,

Dimitri

believed to be clean.