[Spacewalk-list] Errata with multiple RHEL clones

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef at telenet.be
Mon Aug 26 18:02:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 15:03:29 +0000
"Coffman, Anthony J" <Tony.Coffman at snapon.com> wrote:

> I haven't done much with errata import scripts in Spacewalk but when
> I last tried it on an older version (1.7 maybe?) there seemed to be
> an issue with having CentOS/OracleLinux/ScientificLinux in the same
> Spacewalk.  If I recall correctly, it didn't seem possible to keep
> the Errata cleanly separated between the distros because the package
> names were the same in many cases.
>
> Can somebody enlighten me on this topic and best practices for Errata
> with multiple RHEL clones?  Has the situation changed or improved in
> any way with one of the newer errata import scripts?  Is there one of
> these scripts that works best in this situation?
>
> I'd like to revisit pulling in errata for these distros in order to
> provide better info on updates to be applied to my users as we
> progresses patches up through the tiers but I don't want to make a
> mess in Spacewalk.  I'm currently getting errata for OracleLinux
> automatically through reposync and so far the OracleLinux errata seem
> to be doing what I expect (associate only with packages in the Oracle
> Linux channels).
>
> Thanks and regards,
> --Tony

I won't speak for other errata scripts, but the one I maintain
(ya-errata) supports centos and rhel distro's on the same spacewalk
server without issues. I made sure that no cross-channel contamination
can occur.
You can find it here:
https://github.com/liedekef/spacewalk_scripts
It supports redhat, centos, scientific linux, oracle and epel errata,
and supports proxies. Examples can be found there as well.

Franky