[Spacewalk-list] Questions on kickstart

Josh Preston JoshPreston at dswinc.com
Mon Feb 11 18:58:02 UTC 2013

I forgot to address #3,

3) If there is a running machine and by mistake it boot up with PXE . This can reformat the machine and install the OS. How can i overcome this ?

By default, if you are using the cobbler piece, once a machine is kickstarted, a flag gets flipped preventing the system from rekickstarting…

See cobbler system edit --netboot-enabled=false

           If set false, the system will be provisionable through koan but not through standard
           PXE.  This will allow the system to fall back to default PXE boot behavior without
           deleting the cobbler system object.  The default value allows PXE.   Cobbler contains a
           PXE boot loop prevention feature (pxe_just_once, can be enabled in /etc/cobbler/set-
           tings) that can automatically trip off this value after a system gets done installing.
           This can prevent installs from appearing in an endless loop when the system is set to
           PXE first in the BIOS order.

When you perform a cobbler system report, look for the following setting:

Netboot Enabled                : True

Thanks!