[Spacewalk-list] Clustering Spacewalk.

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 12:59:08 UTC 2013

Paul Robert Marino wrote:
% On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:07 AM, Michael Mraka <michael.mraka at redhat.com> wrote:
% > Bernard McCormack wrote:
% > % I was wondering if any one has done clustered DB (Oracle 11gr2) with
% > % spacewalk using db clustering . We want to have spacewalk stay up in a
% > % different location in case we lose the site to site link. .  I have
% >
% > Hello Bernard,
% >
% > Assuming clustered DB means Oracle Real Application Cluster (aka RAC) -
% > yes, you can point spacewalk to RAC. Just create /etc/tnsnames.ora with
% > appropriate service description and pass that service name to
% > spacewalk-setup as database name.
% >
% > On the other hand RAC might be a good performance booster rather
% > recovery solution.
% >
% > % tried to set up multimaster replication (Oracle), but a number of
% > % tables are missing primary keys. Any help\ thoughts would be
% > % appreciated.
% >
% > I'm not sure what you mean by multimaster replication.
% > Correct disaster recovery solution is Oracle Data Guard (aka Standby database).
%
% Are you referring to an active active mode on a shared volume with a
% clustered file system like OCFS2?
% If so the problem you are describing sounds like your OCFS
% configuration isn't correct, otherwise one of your host would be
% fenced if there was an inconsistency like that.

Spacewalk has never been tested in active-active cluster configuration
of any kind. I'm pretty sure you'd hit inconsistency and data corruption
very sooon.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat